More Ninth-Inning Magic Gives Thunder Series SweepMay 3, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Trenton Thunder
The score was tied entering the ninth inning in all three games of the series, this time at 7. Leading off the inning, Mustelier hit Josh Fields' (0-1) offering over the left-center field fence giving him his third RBI of the game. All four of Mustelier's home runs this season have come against Portland.
Johnson followed with a blast well out to right field, his team-leading and league-high-matching sixth of the campaign. Ryan Flannery then recorded his second save in as many nights, pitching around a leadoff walk in the bottom of the ninth to pick up his fourth save in five opportunities.
The Thunder earlier squandered leads of 4-0 and 7-4, thanks in large to a pair of three-run home runs for Portland. Juan Carlos Linares' three-run shot against starter Shaeffer Hall capped a four-run fifth inning for the Sea Dogs and tied the game at 4.
Trenton then scored three times in the sixth against reliever Jeremy Kehrt on an RBI double by Gustavo Molina and a two-run single by Addison Maruszak. But Matt Spring hit a three-run blast in the eighth against the Thunder's Michael Dubee (1-0) in the eighth to tie the game again, this time at 7.
Hall pitched five innings and allowed eight hits and four runs. Portland starter Stolmy Pimentel allowed four runs in 4.1 innings pitched, including and RBI groundout to Mustelier in the first and an RBI single by Melky Mesa in the second.
Molina and Kevin Mahoney each had three hits to pace the Thunder's 14-hit attack. Linares, Oscar Tejeda and Spring each had a pair of hits for Portland.
Trenton next returns home for a three-game series against New Hampshire, beginning with game one Friday night at 7:05 pm at Waterfront Park. Right-hander Brett Marshall (3-1) is expected to start for Trenton against righty Chad Jenkins (2-2) in a re-match of a game played in New Hampshire last Sunday. Limited tickets are available by contacting the Thunder box office at 609-394-3300 or online at www.trentonthunder.com.
Eastern League Stories from May 3, 2012
- More Ninth-Inning Magic Gives Thunder Series Sweep - Trenton Thunder
- McHugh, Reyes Help B-Mets Avoid Sweep, 7-3 - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros Fall to B-Mets, Recap and Box - Akron Aeros
- Squirrels Finish the Job in Finale, 6-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Sweep Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defensive Mistakes Doom Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets RHP Zack Wheeler Placed on Disabled List - Binghamton Mets
- Rock Cats kick off Weekend Series against Red Sox Affiliate Friday - New Britain Rock Cats
- C Molina Activated from DL; INF Mujica Promoted to AAA - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- McDade Homers But Fisher Cats Fall to R-Phils 8-6 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie Nips Curve in Finale, 1-0 - Altoona Curve
- Avery Hurls Complete Game Shutout - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Akron Aeros - Binghamton Mets
- SeaWolves Hosting Baseball & Softball Equipment Drive - Erie SeaWolves
- Bowie Baysox Make Player Moves - Bowie Baysox
- Marte Canvas Painting, May 5 at 5 P.M. Twinbill with Fireworks Highlights Homestand - Altoona Curve
- Mustache May Invades Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.