Comeback Falls Short, 4-3, in 10 InningsApril 17, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lakewood BlueClaws
In the top of the 10th inning the Grasshoppers had Terrance Dayleg at second base with one out and catcher Wilfredo Giminez at the plate. Giminez hit a routine fly ball to center field that Gauntlett Eldemire had bounce off the palm of his glove. One batter later Austin Barnes singled home the game-winning run for Greensboro which improves their record to 8-5 on the season.
Starting pitcher Mike Nesseth only pitched two innings before being relieved by Bryan Morgado. Nesseth struggled to find his control as he allowed two runs and walked five batters in three innings for the no-decision.
Morgado, Kenny Giles and Gabriel Arias combined for eight innings of one-run baseball with the only run off of them unearned. Despite the tremendous effort out of the bullpen for Lakewood, the offense couldn't come through with enough runs to complete the comeback after falling behind early.
With the loss, the BlueClaws lose for just the second time in six games at home and they have their record on the season drop under .500 to 6-7.
The BlueClaws complete the three-game series against the Greensboro Grasshoppers Wednesday morning at FirstEnergy Park. In the final game of a seven-game homestand, Lakewood's Ethan Stewart (0-1, 1.59 ERA) will battle Greensboro's Josh Hodges (1-0, 2.79 ERA). Gates for Wednesday's midweek matinee open at 5:30 p.m. with the first pitch scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 17, 2012
- Tourists Provide Entertaining Encore; Win 12-7 - Asheville Tourists
- Greenville Builds Early Leads, Wins 10-6 Over Legends - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Outlast GreenJackets 7-3 in 11 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bundy, Howard Neutralize Suns in 6-2 Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Skid Continues as GreenJackets Fall in Extras - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Prevail with the Long Ball, Defeat Legends 10-6 - Greenville Drive
- Power Squashed in Seventh - West Virginia Power
- Comeback Falls Short, 4-3, in 10 Innings - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Skole Adds to RBI Total in Suns Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Beckwith Transferred to Danville - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Race by Intimidators, 7-5 - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Game Suspended Because of Power Failure - Rome Braves
- Four-Run 5th Propels Crawdads - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes Vs. Hagerstown - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Ross Placed on DL - Rome Braves
- Bill Lajoie to be Inducted into the Professional Baseball Scouts Hall - Charleston RiverDogs
- Charleston's Tyler Austin Named SAL Player of the Week Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs Return Home for Four-Game Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs Roll Continues in Augusta with 5-1 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.