Intimidators Lose 7-26July 26, 2007 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Kannapolis Intimidators
The Intimidators (16-18, 48-56) drew even with the Braves (16-18, 45-59) at one game apiece in the series.
The Intimidators got the ball rolling in the bottom of the second inning, sending 10 batters to the plate and scoring five runs on six hits.
But, Kannapolis starter Justin Edwards could not hold the lead very long. He allowed three runs in the third inning and two more in the fourth and was removed with the score tied at five. The Intimidators broke the tie in the bottom of the fifth, taking a 6-5 lead on a John Anderson sacrifice fly. Then, after Rome tied it up at six in the top of the sixth, Kannapolis broke it open with a three-run bottom of the inning. The two teams took turns scoring a run apiece in the seventh and eighth innings before Kanekoa Texeira came on in the ninth and retired the side in order to earn his 14th save of the season.
Noe Rodriguez (1-2) got the win, throwing three innings of relief, allowing two runs (one earned). Rome?s Jorge Acosta (0-2) took the loss, allowing three runs in one inning of relief. Rome starter Kyle Cofield gave up six runs (one earned) in 4.1 innings.
Offensively, each team had things going. Kannapolis?s 16 hits gave it 67 in the last six games. John Shelby had four hits, falling a double shy of the cycle. He scored three runs and drove in three more. His home run was his sixth of the year. Francisco Hernandez and Archie Gilbert each had three hits. Seven guys drove in at least one run and seven had hits.
Rome had eight runs on 11 hits, giving it 20 runs on 25 hits in the first two nights of the series. Yohan Silva hit a two-run home run in the fourth inning and 2007 third-round draft pick Brandon Hicks hit his first professional home run in the eighth inning, a solo shot.
With the win, the Intimidators guaranteed themselves a winning record for the homestand. They are 4-1 with two games remaining.
Kannapolis and Rome will take to the field for game three of the series Friday night. Game time is set for 7:05 pm.
Season Ticket & Advertising information is available now for the 2007 season. For more information or to join the hometown champs call the Intimidators front office at 704.932.FANS (3267) or visit www.intimidatorsbaseball.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2007
- Parraz' Cycle Not Enough - Lexington Legends
- Claws Win in 14 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power suspended - West Virginia Power
- Dogs Bite Too Much For Drive - Greenville Drive
- Intimidators Lose 7-26 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Crawdads Shutout Captains in 10th Straight Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Hoppers Win 4-1 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hoppers Homer Past 'Birds,4-1 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Suspended Till Friday - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns & Horizon Goodwill To Hold Super Yard Sale - Hagerstown Suns
- Special Night Out for Special Needs Children - Hickory Crawdads
- GreenJackets Game Notes - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rome Adds Pitcher to Roster - Rome Braves
- Former Gnat Lannan to make MLB debut - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Phanatic Welcomes 'Claws Home - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.