Sounds Blanked By Fresno In Homestand OpenerJuly 24, 2007 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Nashville Sounds
Three Fresno hurlers combined on a four-hitter, the Grizzlies' third consecutive shutout and the club's eighth straight victory. It was the sixth blanking suffered by the Sounds this season and their second in the last three games.
The defeat was the third in a row for Nashville (62-41), which fell to just 11-16 in series openers this season.
Callix Crabbe (3-for-4) recorded three of the four Nashville hits on the evening, all singles. The second baseman also stole a pair of bases to increase his team-leading total to 14 thefts on the year.
Fresno plated the game's lone run in the top of the fourth inning when William Bergolla led off the frame with a double off Zach Jackson and scored on Daniel Ortmeier's RBI single. Nashville left fielder Jose Macias prohibited a second run from crossing the plate when he combined with shortstop Chris Barnwell to throw out Scott McClain at the dish to end the inning.
Fresno starter Travis Blackley (8-5) earned the win after he held Nashville scoreless while allowing only two Crabbe singles over his six innings of work. He struck out seven batters while walking three in the outing.
Scott Atchison followed with two scoreless frames before Brian Wilson kept the Sounds at bay in the ninth to preserve the shutout and earn his eighth save of the year.
Jackson (9-6) took a tough-luck loss for the Sounds after allowing one run on seven hits while matching a season high with nine strikeouts over eight frames of action. It was the southpaw's sixth quality start of the year.
Outfielder Gabe Gross went 0-for-4 with one strikeout in his Sounds debut.
The teams continue the series with a noon matinee on Wednesday afternoon. Nashville left-hander Adam Pettyjohn (6-2, 3.76), who pitched for the Grizzlies in 2004, will man the bump to face Fresno right-hander Chris Begg (7-2, 4.13).
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 24, 2007
- River Cats Throttle Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Win in 12 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Hawks Homer Way to Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Volquez Shuts Down Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Blanked By Fresno In Homestand Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Sidewinders Postponed, Will Play Double Header Wednesday - Tucson Sidewinders
- Bacachica Added to Beavers Active Roster - Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Announce Creation Of 'Community Fund' - Portland Beavers
- Visitation Offered For Coolbaugh - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Former Sky Sox Player Mike Coolbaugh Mourned - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Royals Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Grizzlies Complete Sweep, Win Seventh Straight Game - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.