Jeffress Victorious in Power DebutMay 29, 2007 - South Atlantic League (SAL) West Virginia Power
Kannapolis took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning on back to back two out bombs from Chris Carter and Stefan Gartrell. The Power scored five times in the third inning to take the lead and never looked back. Chuckie Caufield singled in Michael Brantley and Caufield scored the tying run later in the third on Andy Bouchie's double. Bouchie scored the go ahead run on Kenny Holmberg's base hit and Taylor Green singled in the last two runs of the inning. The Power scored four of their five in the third with two outs.
Rob Hudson doubled in a run for Kannapolis in the bottom of the third inning, and West Virginia scored their final run of the game in the top of the fourth on Chuckie Caufield's groundout. In the bottom of the ninth inning with a runner on second and two outs, Archie Gilbert ripped a single down the left field line to score Brandon Allen, but Gilbert tried to make a double out of it and was thrown out at second base by Michael Brantley to end the game.
Jeremy Jeffress (1-0) got the win, J.T. King (2) earned the save while Ricky Brooks (2-6) was tagged with the loss after surrendering three runs on five hits over two and two thirds. Dustin Lidyard pitched three hitless innings out of the bullpen for the Power.
The Power improved to 34-15 with the win and the Intimidators fell to 24-28 with the loss. Kenny Holmberg paced the Power with four hits, Michael Brantley chipped in with two and both Chuckie Caufield and Taylor Green knocked in a pair of runs for the Power.
The Power will continue the four game series against the Kannapolis Intimidators on Wednesday morning. The Power will start right hander Roque Mercedes (0-3, 8.06) and the Intimidators will counter with left hander Justin Edwards (4-2, 3.68). The first pitch is scheduled for 10:05 AM.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 29, 2007
- Drive Pinched By Crawdads, 13-3 - Greenville Drive
- Braves Top Gnats, 7-2 - Rome Braves
- Five-Run Third Powers West Virginia Past Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Jeffress Victorious in Power Debut - West Virginia Power
- Suns Fall to Captains, 8-4 - Hagerstown Suns
- GreenJackets Open Home Stand With Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Delmarva Tops Lakewood 5-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Birds Snap Losing Streak, beat Lakewood, 5-3 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Off To Powerful Start In 2007 - Hagerstown Suns
- Augusta Game Notes - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shaggin' Fun Beach Music Festival Tickets On Sale Now - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Howard Helps Draw Largest May Crowds - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.