Barons walk off with win, 9-8July 29, 2005 - Southern League (SL) Birmingham Barons
After Montgomery scored three runs in the top of the tenth inning off of Paulino Reynoso (4-2), the Barons chances of pulling out a victory seemed slim at best. In the bottom of the inning, the Biscuits went to their closer Cameron Smith (3-2) who started the inning by inducing a pop up from Andy Gonzalez but he would fail to record any more outs in the inning. Smith then walked both Casey Rogowski and Josh Fields and Ryan Sweeney reached on a fielding error by the second baseman which also allowed Rogowski to score. The very next pitch, a 92 mph fastball, to Darren Blakely landed just over the wall in right-center field for a dramatic, walk-off, three-run homer. It was Blakely's second home run in as many days and gives the Barons a three game lead on idle Jacksonville.
The Barons travel to Chattanooga tomorrow to begin a short three-game road trip as LHP Daniel Haigwood (1-0, 1.40) takes on LHP Phil Dumatrait (3-10, 3.38). Game time is set for 6:15 PM (CDT).
Southern League Stories from July 29, 2005
- BayBears win streak over - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Drop Fourth Straight to Braves - Tennessee Smokies
- Braves snap 3-game skid - Mississippi Braves
- Carolina defeats West Tenn - Jackson Generals
- Guzman's slam backs sparkling pitching - Jacksonville Suns
- Smokies set for first ever high school showcase - Tennessee Smokies
- Suns' reliever Broxton promoted to Major Leagues - Jacksonville Suns
- Garciaparra to make rehab appearance with Diamond Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Happenings - Mississippi Braves
- Barons' Blakely bashes Biscuits in 10th - Montgomery Biscuits
- Barons walk off with win, 9-8 - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.